Friday, June 10, 2011

Post Number 1

Hi to whomever reads this. Just for a head's up...please understand that I am not a blogger, nor do I ever plan to be. I am doing this out of ease and convenience to all who want to know about the happenings in the Middle East for the next 2 months. So if I don't measure up to the rest of the blogging world I hope you will accept my apologies.

I am here safe and sound. I didn't miss my flight in the Paris airport even though we did get slightly lost, I didn't get shot down while flying over Baghdad, and I made it past the line of robed men that admit you to the Visa counters at the airport.

After nearly 18 hours of traveling we were welcomed to Dubai with 105 degree weather (at 11:00 pm!) and hundreds of Indian homies trying to get us in their taxis. We couldn't find our ride initially and wandered around wondering what we had gotten ourselves into. We finally found who we were staying with, put our luggage into their car, and we on our way. The couple we are staying with are named Emil and Joey (Johanna). Emil is from Swaziland (a landlocked country by South Africa and Mozambique, and Joey is from South Africa. They also have a son living here named Jacque who is my age. All three have been very hospitable and have done very well at taking care of us. We live in a suburb called Motor City. It is about 20 minutes away from downtown and the coast that you see when you google Dubai.

I started the internship the day after we arrived. We were able to sleep in to avoid any sort of jet lag, (which I am sure is next to impossible as I am still suffering from the effects). I am currently working at Nasdaq Dubai for the first 3 weeks, until I move to the mother company the Dubai Financial Market for the remaining part of the internship. I heard that it is going to be a very cultural experience as I will be under a woman in a position that has never been held by a woman before. So that might be interesting when it comes around.

Yesterday I was able to attend a breakfast/social gathering with the VP of Corporate Communications here in the office. The breakfast was at the "Capital Club"...very posh and out of my league. At the breakfast there were many representatives and Bureauchiefs representing all parts of Africa and the Middle East, specifically in many of the troubled areas like Libya, Syria, Israel, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, and others. Of course I didn't have much to say as I am here a somewhat naive 24 year old American kid. But I was able to observe and listen to many of these people involved with much of the crises here in this part of the world discuss opportunity areas and solutions to what I feel are somewhat impossible problems. It's a whole other world over here.

To save time I am going to give quick synopsis' of other happenings here:

Sunday=is actually on Friday here. The weekends (due to Islam) is Friday-Saturday and the work week is Sunday-Thursday. We attended church today in a Villa. Reminded me a lot of the mission with a smaller branch. It was great.

Islam Call to Prayer=occurs 5 times a day, proceeded by music as a reminder that blasts through the city from every Mosque.

Prayer rooms=in most buildings...there is one right next to my office.

Taxis=crazy. We have had to ride 4 different times in a cab, they drive nuts.

People driving/roads in general=crazy

Strange bugs/animals=not too many so far, with the exception of the ghecko that was next to my bed yesterday.

Tallest building in the world (Burj Khalifa)= roughly 2,700 feet. In comparison the Empire State building is about 1,250 ft.

Weather this summer=expected to reach the usual of about 130 degrees with humidity and little to no rain. (Most residents here leave for the summer because it is so hot).

Shaeks=the Muslim "rulers" of the country. There are numerous signs and billboards with their pictures posted throughout the city.

Freeways=have cameras that take pictures of anyone speeding. They receive a text/email later that day with a picture of you speeding, your speed, and your fine.

Comforts of home=McDonald's (of course), Wendy's, Dominos, Carl's Jr., and even Subway. Haven't even at any of them yet, but it's good to know they are available!

Currency=Durhams (3.76 per 1 US dollar)

Time difference=10 hours ahead

Well, I think this about wraps up post number one. I will try to do this more often now that I have it set up so it's not so crammed or lacking in correct punctuation. Until next time go have an In n' Out burger for me. Thanks.

2 comments: