Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20th, 2011





Great news of the week…Brad and I have a following. Our posse is made up of a large group of Phillipino workers in a sandwich restaurant in the DIFC. We discovered a new place called Potbelly-which is a Chicago based sandwich shop. We loved it so much we found ourselves going multiple times a week on our lunch break. Because we were so frequently attending the workers began to recognize us. This recognition is now to the point where they know us by name and know whether or not we miss a day at Potbelly. Yesterday when we went in and a group of them began beaming from ear to ear and said, “Brad and Braden! We have been expecting you!” The manager of the restaurant, who is not usually there, turned around and said, “So these are the twins that everyone is always talking about!” So ladies and gents…I have a following. Next step…our hopeful attempt to get free food for us “twins.”

It’s been a while since I last man-blogged. I now have about 3 weeks under my belt at the Dubai Financial Market, and to be honest it’s been a lot of fun. I have been able to be kept really busy there doing a lot of things that have kept me really involved. I created an invitation/announcement for a corporate event in September. I have attended numerous meetings with the joint marketing team from DFM and NASDAQ. Also, I have just started a project making an “Auction Packet” which will compile information that DFM will use to auction off vacant offices on the trading floor to brokers. Everyday they have something for me to do that is actually important…it’s nice knowing that I am not an office slave as the intern stigma usually goes.

Last weekend I went to Wild Wadi-a waterpark right next to the Burj Al Arab (the famous ‘sailboat’ hotel). We were able to get in for a discount through Brad’s cousin Matt, who works there. We had a good time. The rides at Wild Wadi were actually a lot more fun than Atlantis’ were. However, the next day my eye started getting a little puffy. It continued to get worse so I decided to visit a pharmacist. Apparently I received some type of eye infection from either the waterpark, or the humid dirt-filled air. I bought some medicated eye drops and 3 days later the puffiness has finally recoiled.

I spoke last week in church. I was given the topic of the “Importance of Temples.” I always enjoy giving talks or teaching lessons in church, and this time was no different. I figured they would catch me at some point anyway to give a talk-being the new guy in the ward. I was surprised it took them this long to be honest. Funny how Mormons are always the same no matter where you go-they always prey on fresh meat to participate! Funny.

That’s all for now folks. Three weeks from tomorrow I will be back on a plane-for better or for worse, haven't decided yet.

A few more facts:

-Time and time again I am corrected on how to "properly" spell certain words or refer to objects. "Favourite" instead of favorite"/"realised" instead of "realized"/"Crisps" instead of "chips"/"lifts" instead of "elevators." Thanks be to my English friends who think we Americans have perverted the English language.

-Here in Dubai they have a blinking green light before a light turns yellow-to warn you of the yellow light. It's actually a good idea.

-Gas is at about $1.40 a gallon here. It costs 100 durhams to fill up the Jaguar we are driving-which is $27.00-not too shabby!

-Whenever we mention being from the States EVERYONE knows New York, Miami, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. Those are, by far, the top 4 cities mentioned. All want to go to America as well. Whenever we say we are from Utah we just say it's close to Vegas and they know the general area.

-No one knows Utah...but most know Salt Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment